Our first instalment of The Facts starring Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.
Chelsea and Spurs have contested some gripping matches over the years and their FA Cup semi final clash today was their 158th. But what does that look like in numbers? Let’s talk about the facts.
- Chelsea lead the H2H 67-51 in all competitions
- In cup competitions, that lead is 10-6
- Chelsea have lost just twice to Spurs in cup competitions in the last ten (from 1991 to 2017)
- Spurs have won five of their last 23 meetings with Chelsea, including their 2008 League Cup final win
- Between 1961 and 1963, Spurs were unbeaten against Chelsea, scoring 17 and conceding 6
- In contrast, between 1990 and 2002, Chelsea were unbeaten against Spurs, scoring 52 and conceding 20
- Chelsea haven’t lost a FA Cup to Spurs in 35 years
- Just under 7% of all meetings have ended 0-0; the first in 1921, the last in 2015
- Chelsea’s 4-2 is the 5th time they’ve beaten Spurs by this scoreline
- The most common scoreline between the pair is 2-1 (15 times)
- Spurs have scored 4 or more past Chelsea on 16 occasions compared to Chelsea’s 13
- Had it not been for a 2-1 defeat in February 1990, Chelsea would have gone through the 90s having never lost to Spurs (21 games unbeaten from December 1990 to May 1999)